Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Sun!

Anybody remember that old Ray Bradbury short story, "All Summer in a Day"? Basically, it takes place on Venus (colonized by former Earth residents), where it rains all the time and the sun only comes out for a couple of hours every seven years. It's set in a classroom where almost none of the children can remember the sun. When the sun finally does come out (an event which the children have been anticipating for weeks), they all rush outside, soaking up every bit of sunlight they can in the brief time that it's shining.*

That's exactly how it felt here in Boston yesterday. After one last downpour during the afternoon commute, the sun finally made its appearance for the first time in seven years days. Immediately, all of us sun-starved Bostonians took to the streets and sidewalks. The playing field across from my apartment was filled once again with college students playing Frisbee while still dodging the standing water. The playgrounds were packed, even if the jungle gyms were still dripping wet. Anyway, the upshot is that I may be spending much of my afternoon outdoors, so don't expect much in the way of knitting updates for the rest of the day. I do have some pictures to share, but they'll have to wait--I don't know how long the sun will be visiting us here on rainy Venus, but I plan on soaking it up for as long as it lasts.

*Of course, the tragic part of the story is that the children have locked one poor student in a closet, forcing her to miss the entire thing--but we won't go there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

So glad the sun finally came out in Boston - I had to drive to NJ and PA to find it.

Nice to see you again on Sunday, even if briefly. Your Ribby Cardi is fitting perfectly, which I find inspiring. (Although inspiring enough to start knitting it again? Hmmm . . .) And I may have to try the lace pillowcloth insets rather than edgings. Thanks.

9:34 AM  
Blogger CygKnit said...

Holy crap, I popped over from Dye-O-Rama to check out your dye job, and I find (finally!!!!) the name of that story. I've been trying to remember it for years. Holy crap. Thanks.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home