Wednesday, May 03, 2006

SP8

Well, with much anticipation and a little trepidation, I'm signing up for Secret Pal 8. Ergo, here are my answers to the extremely thorough required questionnaire:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love wool, as long as it's soft (merino and the like). Alpaca is wonderful, and I'm not too averse to knitting with cotton, again, as long as it's soft. I love Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cotton, for example. I tend to be somewhat of a yarn snob--I'd rather knit with the really good stuff and really enjoy the process.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a wonderful combination needle case from The Organized Knitter. I use a clear plastic cosmetics bag to store my stitch markers, cable needles, etc.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for a little over three years. I guess I'm probably somewhere in the intermediate knitter part of the spectrum.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes--and I'll try to update it with more knitting-related items prior to the start of the exchange. It's here.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I like freesia-scented products (I wear Crabtree & Evelyn's freesia perfume and I use the freesia line from Bath & Body Works), but other than those, I don't really care for heavily scented candles, soaps, etc. They tend to set off my allergies.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Chocolate--the darker the better.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I don't spin, but I'm just starting to experiment with yarn dyeing, so we'll see where that goes. Other than that, I dabble in some paper crafts (I love this place).

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
You can get a pretty good sense of my music preferences from looking at my Amazon wish list, but here are a few of my other favorites: Nickel Creek, Vienna Teng, Sarah Harmer, Sufjan Stevens, Dave Matthews, Zero 7, Radiohead, Bright Eyes, The Postal Service, Death Cab for Cutie. You get the picture--I'm all over the map, but my tastes run toward the indie rock/folky end of things.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
My color palette changes with the seasons (doesn't everyone's), so for summer items, I tend to wear quite a bit of blue, pink, and light green. In the winter, I wear lots of brown, burgundy, dark green, jewel tones. Oh, and black--but I don't really like knitting with black for some reason. My winter coats are bright orange and dark green. As far as color combinations, I prefer subtle combinations--nothing really loud or shocking.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have one three-year-old son--I knit for him a lot. I don't have any pets, and in fact I'm allergic to all cats and some dogs.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Well, I live in Boston, so scarves, hats, and mittens are pretty much a must. I don't really care for the look of ponchos, though.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like knitting sweaters for myself and small items for other people for gifts. Baby sweaters are always fun, and I am really enjoying knitting socks (I'm a new sock knitter).

13. What are you knitting right now?
Picovoli, a pair of socks, and a lace shawl. This is actually pretty light for me--I usually have 4 or 5 projects on the go at once, but I am under a deadline, so I'm limiting my projects right now.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I have a complete set of Denise circular needles, and I use those for most of my sweater projects. For smaller items I like straight needles, usually bamboo.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No.

17. How did you learn to knit?
I first learned how to knit at summer camp in Minnesota, but I picked it up again much later from reading Melanie Falick's Kids Knitting (don't laugh--it has some of the clearest explanations and diagrams I've seen).

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
Not too old--only about 5 months.

19. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas.

20. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn!

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I'd love to get more Socks that Rock sock yarn, and I'm eager to try Addi Turbo needles. I'm also on a quest to get some Regia Canadian self-striping sock yarn, but it's not easily available in the United States. Ditto for baby pattern books by Bouton d'Or, which are usually available here. I used to have an Interweave Knits subscription, but I've let it lapse (although I still buy most issues from the newsstand). As far as books, I'd like to get a copy of Knitting on the Road--all the socks I've seen from that book are beautiful! I also really enjoy Lucinda Guy's Handknits for Kids (although I don't own a copy) and am eager to see her new one that comes out the end of May.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'm working on my first big lace project right now, so I'm definitely learning as I go. I'd also like to learn more about Fairisle techniques.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes.

24. When is your birthday?
October 20.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

You will have a great time with SP8!

I was the hostess that inputed all the blogs on the participants page.... lot of work but I foun a lot of blogs that i just had to subscribe to.....

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home