Friday, April 21, 2006

Springapaloooza

I know y'all have been waiting with bated breath to see the four rounds I've completed on my next pair of socks, but you'll just have to wait another day . . . because . . .



Ta da! Finished Sockapaloooza socks.

It was such a treat to finish these socks at this time of year, especially since I was doing much of the knitting out of doors (aside: yesterday I was pronounced "so cool" by a couple of third grade girls at the playground when they learned I was knitting an actual sock). All of a sudden, as spring has arrived in Boston with a vengeance, I started seeing these lovely shades of pink everywhere: in the fragile pink of cherry blossoms, the pale pink of tulips, the magnolias that vary from almost white to deep rose, and in the lovely deep pinks of crab apple blooms. What a perfect way to celebrate the arrival of spring!

Pattern: Baby Cable Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks

Yarn: Dani's Sunshine Yarns; Colorway: Love

Started: 3/5/06

Finished: 4/21/06

Comments: I highly recommend this book to beginning sock knitters (or anyone, really--the stitch patterns are really good for anyone who likes to knit socks). It certainly helped me finally understand how sock patterns work, how to adjust patterns for different gauges and stitch patterns, etc. And I think I finally understand what all the sock fuss is about. Socks are perfect "other" projects to have on hand for those trips to the playground, plane rides, subway trips, etc., when your sweater or what have you is just too bulky or complicated to pack along. Plus, when I tried these on (don't worry, sock pal, I'll wash them before sending them off to you) I was stunned by just how cozy handknit socks are--frankly, I didn't want to take them off!

In other news, I've joined Scout's Dye-o-rama dye swap just for fun. I've got my trusty sister on the hunt at the grocery store where she works for Kool Aid colors we just can't get here in Boston, and I'm ordering enough yarn to make enough for the swap as well as a practice skein for myself. More sock yarn=even more chances to make socks!

4 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Oooh, those are so pretty! Your pal will love them.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

They are so perfect for the spring time!

And I can sense the beginning of a long, knitterly relationship between you and socks. As you say, they are the perfect project for all those times. . . and more!

7:58 AM  
Blogger alison said...

They look great! Even better on the grass than on the ugly Knitsmith's table. ;0) Hooray for the next -along, the dye-along!

9:02 PM  
Blogger cauchy09 said...

Congrats! Those are some really cool pink socks, and I don't normally like pink socks. Wow!

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home