Friday, February 16, 2007

The Catalyst

OK, so I (purposely) left out a big part of my little alchemical equation from yesterday's post--a receipt.

Here's the story, which I alluded to way back in January, since I mistakenly thought it would be reaching a conclusion long before mid-February!

I think probably every knitter has, at some time or another, received a gift of yarn. Now, if the yarn comes from other knitters, or at least from close friends who know your knitting taste and your personal style, this can be a very good thing. But, on the other hand, if the yarn comes from someone else, someone who says to themselves, "Hmmm . . . Norah's a knitter. Let's put together a really fabulous gift basket--at A. C. Moore," the results can be less than satisfactory.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to belittle the thoughtfulness that went into this gift (an entire wicker laundry basket full of Lion Brand) or to insult anyone's preference for Lion Brand. I know that there are times and places and projects for which Lion Brand is really the perfect choice. However, here's the deal--unlike pretty much everybody else in blogland, I don't have stash spilling out of closets and bureaus and bathtubs. My yarn supply is at an all-time low and my budget doesn't allow me to splurge right now on the yarn I really want to purchase. So when I saw those 20 skeins of Lion Brand, my heart sank a little--knowing how much it probably cost and thinking about how much really lovely yarn I could purchase for the same price. I knew I probably wouldn't use the Lion Brand, and I felt really bad about it.

Thankfully, the giftgiver was as astute as she was generous, and she subtly slipped me the purchase receipt "just in case you need to exchange for different colors." A quick glance at the receipt revealed a true Christmas miracle--the yarn had been paid for by check. Anyone who's aware of store return policies probably realizes what this means--all at once, I wasn't limited by A. C. Moore's yarn selection if I wanted to return my yarn. I could get cash, which I could spend at any old yarn shop I desired!

So off I went to A. C. Moore, gigantic trash bag full of Lion Brand in hand. It took more than 20 minutes, 3 cashiers, and a buildup of about 15 disgruntled customers in line behind me to process the return, but it was totally worth it. After they cleared out 3 different cash registers to give me the cash, I had almost $100 worth of yarn money burning a hole in my pocket.

So what did I buy? Well, I bought enough Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran to finish my Nantucket sweater (and then some--I don't want to run out again), and enough Rowan Felted Tweed to make this Vortex Street pullover from Knitting Nature. Both of these had to be special ordered, which made for a long several weeks while I waited for the parcel to arrive.

Oh, and one skein of Tahki Donegal Tweed to make a little thank-you gift for the gift-giver, which has already been finished, blocked, and sent out weeks ago. Pictures next week . . .

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

clever!

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok no swap... but what a thoughtful gift, some people dream about flowers on the doorstep, we knitters want a basket of yarn!

(I've always wondered why my family never goes the yarn route at holidays...maybe they've had enough??)Can't wait to see the new projects as they develop....

7:38 AM  
Blogger Terri Lynn said...

I am so with you....thank God, I made it clear to my daughter and others this Christmas, "Cashmere, blend only! Besides the facts I love green, or a fine neutral that would go with anything....I love your blog and have been stalking it for about a week now, it's very inspiring and I love your knitting.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home