Tuesday, January 23, 2007

It's My Blogiversary!

I know you all are waiting with bated breath for this week's installment in my poetry project (brace yourselves--it's a haiku), but you'll just have to hold your collective breath until tomorrow, because today marks one year since my first post on this blog.

To celebrate, I thought I'd share some photos of the very first project I ever knitted, a project which predates the blog by several years. Here it is:

It's a sampler scarf knit in three colors of Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted, purchased from A Good Yarn in Brookline back when I first wanted to learn how to knit. I taught myself, using Melanie Falick's Kids Knitting (don't laugh--I still vouch for it as having one of the clearest "how to" sections for beginners). Instead of doing a simple swatch to start out, I decided to make a sampler scarf to try out a number of different stitch patterns.

The scarf's got stripes (both stockinette and garter stitch), garter stitch ridges, Fair Isle checks, a basketweave pattern, and even a cable. What did I learn from the project? On a very basic level, I learned how different stitch patterns "behave"--ribbing pulls in, stockinette curls, etc. Doing this project also gave me the confidence to move on to more challenging projects more quickly than, say, a garter stitch scarf would have. I also learned that I like variety, which is why I still make more hats and sweaters than scarves.

The scarf was knitted for P. shortly after he was born, and look--it still fits him!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Congratulations on the Blogiversary! What a great first project -- that looks a lot more fun than the typical garter-stitch rectangle.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Happy Blogiversary! And I agree - that is a fabulous first project. Way more useful than most!

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home