Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cherry Jubilee

I finally finished Cherry and trotted her out for an evening at the BSO, figuring that it's usually so warm in Symphony Hall that a short-sleeved sweater would not be entirely out of place. Unfortunately, it was actually a little chilly there last night, so Cherry spent most of the evening hidden under my jacket. Oh well. Here she is for your perusal--

Pattern: Cherry from My Fashionable Life. Pattern available here.

Materials: Knitpicks Elegance (70% Baby Alpaca, 30% Silk), colorway Ash (#0528). Buttons from The Button Box in Natick/Wellesley, Mass.

Started: 7/9/2006

Finished: Good question. The actual knitting was finished sometime in August. I seamed and knitted the neckband and button band on 1/1/2007, and finally added the buttons 1/6/2007.

Comments: This was one of those sweaters that suffered from my pathological inability to finish a project. I could have worn it this fall (or on any of the freakishly warm days this winter), but it was just languishing in my knitting basket for months. When I pulled it out on New Year's Day, I was pleasantly surprised by how little time it took to get all those pieces pulled together.

I'm really pleased with the fit on this sweater. I made the 36" size, and I think it fits really well. I did (as usual) make the sweater body longer than the pattern called for, but otherwise it didn't really need any adjustments. I enjoyed the cable pattern, which, along with the styling and the buttons (closeup here), gives the sweater the vintage feel I was looking for. I also liked the yarn, which makes the sweater significantly warmer than it would be with the cotton yarn the pattern calls for (good for me, since I tend to get cold if my arms are exposed).

By the way, for any of you in the Boston area, I strongly recommend the Button Box (on Rt. 9W on the Wellesley/Natick line). The employee there was willing to spend a long time with me choosing the perfect button for the sweater. I think at one point we had pulled out about 50 different button styles! Oh, and if you want compliments on your knitting, those flow as freely as the buttons do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jofrog said...

Oooh, I can't wait to see it in person. I've thought about making this pattern myself.

As for the button box, they are good people there and very kid friendly too. Toddlers in a button store would scare most, but they were so laid back

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home