Wednesday, July 05, 2006

It's All Downhill from Here

It always seems like the Fourth of July is the high point of summer. Sure, it's only been a couple of weeks since the summer solstice, but every year it happens--starting with the Fourth of July, the weeks of summer just seem to slip away until before you know it, we're on to Labor Day, changing leaves, and sweater weather.

Well, this year, I'll be ready:

That's right. Ribby Cardi is . . . finally . . . finished. I did wear it--sans zipper--on my June trip to the Upper Peninsula, where sweater weather never really disappears. When I returned, my zipper had arrived, and all I had to do was wait a week for it to be installed (install it myself? You've got to be kidding me.).

Here are the details:

Pattern: Ribby Cardi

Yarn: Elann's Peruvian Highland Wool, color 0408 (Nutmeg Heather) for the sleeves and color 0616 (Redwood) for the body

Zipper: color S854 from Zipperstop

Started: a long, long time ago (you know? I honestly can't remember. I ordered the yarn in November of 2004 . . . )

Finished: 7/3/06

Comments: I'm really happy with how this sweater turned out. The colors look good together, and given how often I used it on my trip last month, I know it's the kind of cardigan I'll be reaching for often on those chilly fall days and late summer evenings. I did change a few things about the pattern, namely adding several inches in length to both the body and the sleeves. I'm quite pleased with the fit (I made the 36" size), even though it's a bit roomier than many of my sweaters, but that offers more flexibility for layering--it would even work as a light jacket. I would definitely make it again, and I'm already toying with the idea of making another one in all charcoal gray.

3 Comments:

Blogger Devorah said...

Ribby looks good -- wear it well!

8:22 PM  
Blogger dianemulholland said...

It looks lovely, just what I need right now! I hope you get lots of cold weather so you can wear it all the time :-)

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!! That looks great. The idea for the all charcoal one is a good one. I had actually planned to make one out of the charcoal and medium gray colors of the Highland Peruvian wool. I still believe great minds think alike!

SP8

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home